Trinity Lutheran Church has been a vital part of the Villa Park Community for more than 100 years.
Rev. C.H. Kenreich, of Grace Lutheran Church in Glen Ellyn, was instrumental in establishing a Lutheran Mission in Ardmore. He called upon village homes and several families promised their support. The first service was held at Ardmore School on November 16, 1913. Thirty were in attendance.
In 1915, Ballard & Pottinger Real Estate donated a lot at 305 S Ardmore Ave. The completed church was dedicated November 14, 1915.
Disaster struck on February 10, 1936 when the church was partially destroyed by fire. It was immediately decided to repair the damage and enlarge the church. Within 7 months the rebuilt and enlarged church was ready.
By 1953 the number of worshipers far exceeded the seating. Construction of a new building across the street at 300 S Ardmore began. This building was dedicated January 29, 1956.
The Villa Park Village Board agreed to purchase the old church building for $20,000, then spent $22,000 remodeling it to become the first permanent home of the Villa Park Public Library. The architect for remodeling was Gustave Orth of Hinsdale. The library re-opened October 22, 1956, in the newly-remodeled church building at 305 S. Ardmore.
When a new library was built in 1969, the former church building was demolished and the stained glass windows were sold at auction.
Another Trinity expansion program was undertaken in 1967 because of insufficient Sunday School space. The Christian Growth Center was dedicated September 29, 1968. Since that time, Trinity Christian Nursery School has offered a 3 and a 4-year-old preschool program.
Pastors who served Trinity:
(1913-1916) The Rev. Charles H. Kenreich
(1917-1961) The Rev. Arno Schlechte
(1944-1945) The Rev. Raymond Eissfeldt
(1946-1949) The Rev. Herbert Neitzel
(1949-1953) The Rev. Harry N. Huxhold
(1953-1955) The Rev. Don Maier
(1957) The Rev. William Meissler
(1959-1971) The Rev. William J. Hughes
(1961-1962) The Rev. Donald C. Brockopp
(1962-1967) The Rev. Harry W. Marks, Jr.
(1968-1970) The Rev. Peter H. Steinke
(1972-1977) The Rev. Walter Holm
(1972-1974) The Rev. William Spaude
(1976-1980) The Rev. William Clements
(1978-1997) The Rev. David H. Ritt
(1981-1985) The Rev. Steven Schauder
(1989-2004) The Rev. Thomas J. Sanders
(2000-2001) The Rev. Mark D. Post
(2004 – Present) The Rev. Robert Rogers
The screenplay was written by John Primm and featured Rev. Schlechte.
"THE MARBLE" • Regular 8MM • 1965 • 19 minutes
This is the 1st place winner of the 1965 Kodak Teenage Movie Contest.
The film was shot in the 4:3 format, but it is presented above in the 16:9 format. The top and bottom portions of the picture have been selectively cropped off, scene by scene. The sound track was completely remade using the original 1/4 inch reel to reel audio tapes, and is much better than it was in 1965.
For views of Trinity and the local area in days goine by, view the movie at: The Marble | dv-post (dvpostvideo.com)
Trinity Lutheran Church
300 S. Ardmore Ave.
Ville Park, IL 60181
Church Phone: (630) 834-3440
Preschool Phone: (630) 833-1080